Friday, February 7, 2014

Graveyard of Dreams: A Review

Recently, I did a book blast on The Dream Killers: Graveyard of Dreams on January 8th and decided that this would be a novella I would want to read. Now I will show you why I am glad with my decision.

First of all, I did not realize that this book was created as a world builder for the Dreamland Stories. S.M. Blooding's comparison is "The Dream Killers is to Dreamland Stories what Agents of Shield is to the Marvel movies. "

I agree with her.

This novella is a fantastic world builder. Blooding introduces a new way on how to concept our dreams--that they are so much more than we realize. Although I haven't read the Dreamland Stories books, I feel that after reading Graveyard of Dreams, I will understand what is going on much better. Through the eyes of River, I was able to see the world of dreams. In his adventures, River explains what is going on well and helps to keep your mind focused on what is happening--for Dreamworld is tricky and intricate. Nothing is as it seems. In a way, River had to be smarter than Dreamland in order to save his Dreamers--the people from the real worlds.

The story was fast paced, yet it was not rushed. River was a strong character who fought through his confusion and did his best to do the right thing. He did not give up on his comrade, Captain Bo, and instead saw the better side of his friend. River was able to overcome his fears in order to save the lives of the dwindling Dreamers and discover his true purpose as a Man of Dreams.

Captain Bo was pretty awesome. I did not think so at first, but as the story progressed, I was able to see that he only wanted the best for everyone. My favorite thing about him is his willingness to change for the better. The minute River warned him of the gravity of what he was doing, he did his best to stop (I don't want to give away any spoilers here, hence the vagueness). I thought that was incredible. Most people are not subject to change, but Bo just wanted to do what was right and help River along the way. I find that makes a character--even actual people--something to look up to; to admire.

Graveyard of Dreams is a wonderful example of world building--it was a great opening and invitation to read the Dreamland Stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment