Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Giver: A Review (The Giver #1)

Goodreads:

This haunting story centers on Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he's given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community.
My Review:

I originally read this book when I was about twelve years old. I saw the movie when I was nineteen. When I saw the other books of the series for sale at this cute little bookstore, I realized it was time to begin this series again.

Now I'm a lot older and far more mature, I found The Giver had so much more meaning. Jonas was trapped in a world where they desperately wanted to control every aspect of every one's lives. There was no since of choice. Of agency. You lived, and you died. That was it. There was absolutely no substance to life.

All because of those pills they were forced to take. These pills suppressed every normal human emotion, blocked certain hormones from running through the body.

This book really opened up my mind to how we take to granted everything we have. All the choices we have. The choice we have to marry, to not, to LOVE who we want, to have as many children as we want, or to not have any, to live where we please, to enjoy what ever hobbies we love.

No wonder this book was once on the banned list, and still is in certain countries. It reminds you of the choices and freedoms life can give you.

I have never been so grateful for my life until after I read this book.

It's been a while since a book provoked my thoughts so deeply. I think everyone should read this book. Also, Lowry has mad skill with describing things without using color. I don't know how she did it, but wow; she's an incredible author.

5 out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment